Tougher measures Johnson was criticized for his initial light-touch approach to the outbreak but on March 23 ordered a three-week lockdown after scientists warned the approach risked huge numbers of deaths.Non-essential shops and services have now been shut for the last two weeks and gatherings of more than two people banned to try to cut close-contact transmission and reduce infection rates.People have been told only to leave their homes to shop for essential items and medicine, and to exercise.But Hancock on Sunday warned that outside exercise could be banned after concern warmer weather could tempt people from their homes to public parks and open spaces.A major south London park was closed on Sunday after high numbers of sunbathers on Saturday.Hancock later said changes to social distancing were “not imminent” but in a sign of the seriousness of the measures, Scotland’s chief medical officer resigned for breaking the rules.Catherine Calderwood caused outrage in Scotland for twice visiting her second home north of Edinburgh, despite fronting an ad campaign calling for Scots to stay at home.She apologized and Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon backed her to stay on. But on Sunday night Calderwood said she had quit as her behavior risked “becoming a distraction”. But he said in a video message on Friday that he would continue to stay at home because of a persistent high temperature.Downing Street called it a “precautionary step” and it is understood his admission was not an emergency and he was taken to hospital on medical advice.When he announced his positive test, his spokesman said Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab would take charge if the prime minister was unable to perform his duties.But government sources said Johnson was still in charge. ‘We’ll meet again’ The Downing Street announcement came as the 93-year-old queen offered a message of hope to everyone affected by the global pandemic, which has seen more than 1.2 million cases and more than 68,000 deaths.Britain currently has 47,806 confirmed hospital cases and 4,934 deaths. The monarch’s eldest son, heir to the throne Prince Charles, has tested positive after displaying mild symptoms.In only her fourth address at a time of crisis in her 68-year reign, the queen said the outbreak could be defeated by a collective effort in a “common endeavor”.”We will succeed — and that success will belong to every one of us,” she said in a speech recorded at Windsor Castle, west of London, where she moved as a precaution on March 19.Thanking healthcare staff and keyworkers, and praising the community response to the outbreak, the queen said people in Britain and around the world could feel proud.”Together we are tackling this disease, and I want to reassure you that if we remain united and resolute, then we will overcome it,” she added.She drew on her experience of World War II, when she and her sister princess Margaret were evacuated to Windsor as London was bombed, drawing parallels with people forced apart by the virus.In particular, she referenced British wartime singer Vera Lynn, whose song “We’ll Meet Again” became an anthem for service personnel fighting abroad, far from their loved ones.”We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again.” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was taken to hospital on Sunday after failing to shake off coronavirus symptoms, as Queen Elizabeth II said a united effort would defeat the outbreak.The government announced within an hour of the monarch’s rare special address to the country and Commonwealth nations that Johnson had been admitted for further tests as a precaution.Johnson, 55, had been due to re-emerge from seven days of self-isolation on Friday, a week after announcing he had tested positive for COVID-19 and had mild symptoms. Johnson is the most high-profile world leader to contract the virus. His pregnant partner, Carrie Symonds, is also recovering from symptoms but has not been tested.Health Secretary Matt Hancock returned to work on Friday after a week at home following his positive test for COVID-19. The chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, has also displayed symptoms.Hancock on Sunday described Johnson’s condition as “OK” and said he had been in “good spirits”. “He’s very much got his hand on the tiller,” he told Sky News television but said Johnson was being careful to follow government advice on self-isolation.Speaking from the White House, US President Donald Trump said he was “hopeful and sure” Johnson would recover, calling the prime minister “a friend of mine” and “great leader.” Topics :
Advertisement Comment Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 15 Jul 2020 12:05 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.9kShares When does the Premier League transfer window open and close this summer? Advertisement Timo Werner will arrive at Chelsea this summer (Picture: Getty Images)The Premier League has confirmed when the transfer window will open and close this summer, after initial plans were significantly altered by the coronavirus crisis.With the season now running until a conclusion on Sunday 26 July, the transfer window will open after the final games of the campaign.The start date of the 2020/21 Premier League season is not yet confirmed, with the weekend of 12 September looking most likely, but there remains the possibility that it could start earlier than this.If the Premier League does get back underway on 12 September, it will mean there will be around three weeks between the start of the season and the close of the transfer window, and then 11 more days of a domestic-only window.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTWhen does the transfer window open and close?A Premier League statement read: ‘Premier League Shareholders have agreed on the dates for the summer 2020 transfer window.‘The window will open for 10 weeks at the end of the current Premier League season, starting on 27 July and ending on 5 October.‘Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 17:00 BST on 16 October.‘During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations).‘No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.‘The transfer window is subject to the approval of FIFA.’The EFL’s window will run for the same dates of 27 July – 5 October, with the extended domestic-only window afterwards.MORE: Dimitar Berbatov’s Premier League predictions including Arsenal vs LiverpoolMORE: Norwich claim unwanted record as West Ham defeat confirms relegation from Premier LeagueFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Even a pre-Penn State depth chart released on Monday failed to bring any clarity to Syracuse’s cloudy quarterback situation.Terrel Hunt and Drew Allen are still listed as co-owners of the top quarterback spot. So, just as Scott Shafer has planned for the past few weeks, the Orange’s starter will be unannounced until kickoff against the Nittany Lions on Saturday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.Perhaps the most notable change on the entire depth chart, though, is running back George Morris II’s addition as SU’s starting kick returner. Shafer said he likes running backs to return kicks, so he’s replaced wide receiver Jeremiah Kobena, who previously occupied that spot. Running back Devante McFarlane is listed on the second team, where he will replace Wayne Morgan.The only other change on offense since the last time a depth chart was released in July at the Atlantic Coast Conference Football Kickoff in Greensboro, N.C., is that Jerome Smith or Prince-Tyson Gulley are listed as the starting running backs. Previously Smith, a team captain, was the sole occupant of that spot.The only change for the second team on offense is Daniel Anyaegbunam’s move from right tackle to right guard, with Michael Lasker slotting in at tackle. Guard John Miller is off the depth chart entirely.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe starting defense is the same as was listed at ACC Kickoff, except Ri’Shard Anderson or Brandon Reddish is now listed opposite Keon Lyn. Freshmen Isaiah Johnson and Marqez Hodge join the second team at defensive end and outside linebacker, respectively. Josh Kirkland is now the sole occupant of the second-team opposite outside linebacker position and Darius Kelly is now sharing the second-string free safety position with Morgan. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on August 26, 2013 at 4:47 pm Contact David: email@example.com | @DBWilson2
Former Leeds United striker Robbie Blake has described the West Yorkshire outfit as a ‘circus’, but a ‘fantastic club’ that needs stability.After Massimo Cellino’s U-turn to sell his majority stake to supporters’ group Leeds Fans United, the Italian still wants out after the Whites’ following turned against him.Supporter and local businessman Steve Parkin is one name believed to be close to a potential takeover of United and Blake hopes the new owner will finally bring stability to the club.“It has been a bit of a circus and one that shouldn’t really be happening,” Blake told Ian Danter on Extra Time. “It’s not good for the stability of the football club.“It needs to be sorted out because they need the foundations to build again.“Why it’s going on…it’s really not good for the football club and the people suffering – they have been for a lot of years – are the supporters.“They are a fantastic football club with great supporters and hopefully – we’ve been saying this for a while – it can get sorted off the field because on the field, with the youth they have coming through the system at the moment, Leeds are in a good place.”Reports suggest that if Parkin does complete a deal for the club, his number one managerial target is David Moyes, who was sacked by Real Sociedad this week.That is despite only recently changing manager – their sixth in 18 months at Elland Road under Cellino – Steve Evans has won back-to-back games. He looks to be instilling confidence back into Leeds’s young players, such as Lewis Cook and Alex Mowatt, who has scored twice from 25-yards in as many games.But Blake would not blame the new owner for bringing in a new boss.He said: “If you put that amount of money in, you will want a say in terms of the manager and whether Steve Parkin’s had a say on Evans getting the job, I very much doubt so.“If he’s going to spend a lot of money, I am pretty sure he will want to bring his own man in.“Leeds will attract the bigger names if they get a takeover done in the right manner, it’s such a huge club.“There’s so many big names out of a job that will want the opportunity to manage a great club.”After years of turmoil and uncertainty, the club’s fans – who are among the top five away supporters in the country according to talkSPORT’s Adrian Durham – continue to turn up in their numbers, home and away. Blake added: “They have been absolutely fantastic and been a credit to themselves.“They turn up in their thousands, despite everything that’s been going on, and it’s not something that’s happening once, it’s happening nearly every week.“The problems they’ve had to deal with, great credit to them because they keep coming back.” SEE HERE – Leeds make loan enquiry about out-of-favour Norwich striker Kyle Lafferty