Liverpool may pull out of League Cup quarter-final over fixture pile-up: Jurgen Klopp

first_imgManager Juergen Klopp has said Liverpool will not play their League Cup quarter-final tie if it cannot be rescheduled to a suitable date that avoids clashing with the Club World Cup in December.Liverpool beat Arsenal at Anfield in a penalty shootout on Wednesday after their last-16 tie ended 5-5 in regulation.However, the competition’s quarter-finals are set for the week commencing December 16 — the same week Klopp’s side travel to Qatar for the FIFA Club World Cup.”We will not be the victim of this problem,” Klopp told reporters. “The Carabao Cup … if they don’t find an appropriate place for us, not 3 a.m. on Christmas Day, then we don’t play it.”FIFA told us the Club World Cup will be there and we have to come there and we will do. The Premier League tells us we have to play in the Premier League, which we do obviously.”If you have a fixture list where one team cannot be part of all the games, then you have to think about the fixture list. Hopefully it starts now.”Klopp also said that if the quarter-final tie cannot be moved then either their next opponent should advance or Arsenal could take Liverpool’s place in the draw, which is to be held later on Thursday.”We wanted to win it, we did that, and if they don’t find a proper date for us then we cannot play the next round and whoever is our opponent will go through. Or Arsenal will play it,” the German added.advertisementAlso Read | Messi’s talent is not comparable to anything: Barcelona coach ValverdeAlso Read | League Cup: Manchester City, Everton and Leicester ease into quarterfinalsAlso See:last_img read more

UN staff security summit told terrorists now view the organization as the

Ambassador Stefan Tafrov of Bulgaria, Council President for December, told the summit in New York yesterday that UN staff security was a priority for the Security Council, especially after the 19 August bombing of UN headquarters in Baghdad, which killed 22 people, including the top envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello.Representing Secretary-General Kofi Annan, UN Security Coordinator and Under-Secretary-General for Management Catherine Bertini said “in more and more crises the UN flag has become a target rather than a shield.”Ms. Bertini said Mr. Annan had called for a strategic reorganization of UN security following Baghdad, adding plans were already being developed to heighten and improve security measures, including placing anti-shatter film on UN buildings in New York.General Assembly President Julian R. Hunte of St. Lucia said that although the attack in Baghdad had been a shocking one for the UN, it was not the first for the organization. He said some 2,000 UN workers had been killed or had disappeared since 1945.While UN operations would have to change as a result of the attack, Mr. Hunte added, host countries still bore the main responsibility for the safety of UN staff in the field. He said the UN should treat each dangerous situation individually, tailoring the security model accordingly.UN Staff Union President Rosemarie Waters, urging Member States to ratify the Convention on the Protection of UN Staff, said all reports on facts on the Baghdad attack should be made public.She said “those who actions and faulty decisions had led to the Baghdad tragedy should be identified, rather than sacrificing lower-level employees to satisfy public opinion.”Ms. Waters also called for greater investment in staff security and for staff to be allowed to become involved in security processes. Video of security summit read more