Cummins to replace injured Gabriel in WI Test squad Down Under

first_imgMELBOURNE, Australia (CMC):Barbadian fast bowler Miguel Cummins is set to make his Test debut after he was named as a replacement for the injury pacer Shannon Gabriel in the ongoing series against Australia.West Indies Cricket Board’s selection panel made the announcement yesterday following the regional side’s heavy defeat to Australia inside three days in the first Test, which ended Saturday.Cummins, 25, has taken 99 wickets at an average of 22.83 in 36 first-class matches. He has made one international appearance for West Indies, an ODI against Ireland at Sabina Park, Jamaica, in February, last year.The 27-year-old Gabriel suffered a stress reaction in his left ankle bone while bowling in the first innings of the first Test match at the Blundstone Arena in Hobart. He is expected to return to Trinidad this week to continue his rehabilitation, a WICB statement said.last_img read more

Cybercrime Bill finally for National Assembly – Williams

first_imgAfter 2 yearsThe much-anticipated Cybercrime Bill which was first laid in August 2016 is expected to return to the floor of the National Assembly almost two years after it was sent to a Parliamentary Special Select Committee for review.This was revealed by Attorney General and Legal Affairs Minister Basil Williams.“The Cyber Crime Bill has just been completed in the Special Select Committee, and it will be going to the floor of the Parliament for passage,” he said on Thursday. In making these remarks, the minister was addressing the opening ceremony of a three-day workshop aimed at training state prosecutors in trial advocacy.The draft legislation is aimed at tackling the 21st century phenomenon of cybercrime. It treats with the creation of cybercrime offences, and contains provisions for penalties, investigations and prosecutions of such offences.Williams pointed out that with the Cybercrime legislation soon to come into force, there is need for state prosecutors to be equipped with the knowledge and skills to deal with cybercrime offences.Williams has said that given the dependence of societies all over the world on information and communication technologies, local prosecutions must be prepared to handle cybercrime and electronic evidence.“That’s a very important bill; and again, that would be a specialised area, and the prosecutors will have to be exposed to that kind of training,” the Legal Affairs Minister stated.Upon presenting the Bill in the National Assembly in August 2016, Williams had requested that it be sent to a Special Select Committee for special consideration and further consultation before it is debated. It has since been before that committee.This piece of legislation comes even as local companies continue to be at risk of being hacked. In fact, the Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) had fallen victim to such an attack back in January last year, when its ICT (Information and Communication Technology) system was hacked. The company had reported that discovery of the hack was made by its ICT personnel, who, while performing maintenance duties, had found that several systems were infected with malware. This forced the water company to take its servers offline to avoid extended damage, as the attack had disrupted its billing and collection methods.Besides hacking, there have been concerns expressed in regard to cyber bullying and defamation.Against this backdrop, acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine had announced in March last year that the Guyana Police Force would be establishing a cybercrime unit. According to the acting Top Cop, cybercrimes have become the opportune choice of criminals, hence the need for specialists who are specifically dedicated to combating such activities.Ramnarine noted that the Centre would be utilised to provide capacity-building to deal with cyber threats, something which he recognised demands a multi-stakeholder and long-term approach. Ramnarine had identified the Centre as the most resourceful location to equip ranks with the necessary skills and competency to have an informed approach to tackling cybercrimes.The Cyber Crimes Bill caters for, inter alia: illegal access to a computer system; illegal interception; illegal data interference; illegal acquisition of data; illegal system interference; unauthorised receiving or granting of access to computer data; computer-related forgery; computer-related fraud; offences affecting critical infrastructure; identity-related offences; child pornography; child luringl and violation of privacy, among a slew of other offences.The draft legislation outlines that a person commits an offence if he/she intentionally, without authorisation or in excess of authorisation, or by infringing any security measure, accesses a computer system or any part of a computer system of another person.It also states that a person who produces child pornography for the purpose of distribution through a computer system; or offers or makes available, distributes or transmits, child pornography through a computer system, commits an offence.Guyana hosted the 16th Caribbean Nations Security Conference (CANSEC) – a forum for high ranking military officials from across the region to get together and discuss critical security issues – back in December, during which a commitment was made for the region to work together to secure the cyberspace of the Western Hemisphere against cyber-attacks.last_img read more

Oyemba targets Stars call up after stellar ’17

first_img0Shares0000Kariobangi Sharks goalkeeper John Oyemba picks his keeper of the year award from State House’s Dennis Itumbi. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 25- After a stellar 2017 season that saw him crowned the Sports Journalists Association (SJAK) Goalkeeper of the Year, Kariobangi Sharks shot stopper John Oyemba’s next target is to earn a call up to the national team Harambee Stars.Oyemba has described 2017 as a breakout year and hopes he can take the form into the new season and put his feet on a higher platform, that of the national team. “It has been a great year and being awarded as ‘Goalkeeper of the Year’ was humbling. I was competing with very good goalkeepers most of who have been in the Premier League for a while and to beat them to that award, It was a humbling feeling,” Oyemba said.“It is a positive step for me and now the only way is up. It is every player’s dream to don the national team colors and for me, that is my next target. I want to continue working hard, keep more clean sheets and hopefully, I achieve that goal,” the shot stopper further stated.With 16 clean sheets to his name, the most in the league with Patrick Matasi and David Juma both picking 15, it wasn’t such a bad return for a goalkeeper who started off as an assured second starter.At the beginning of the season, the Premier league newbies had brought on board Robert ‘Boban’ Mboya from Mathare United and with a wealth of experience including a few national team call ups under his belt, there wasn’t much of a debate as to who would man Sharks’ goal as a number one.But, Mboya’s star never shone as much, and once again, it gave off an opportunity for Oyemba who had helped Sharks get promotion to show his worth.Kariobangi Sharks goalkeeper John Oyemba poses with his Goalkeeper of the Year award during teh Sports Journalists Association of Kenya Awards Gala on December 18, 2017. PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya“When Boban came in, it was like a bar set for me to jump higher. I took the challenge and I knew he (Boban) was a good keeper so to get to number one I needed to work extra hard. When the opportunity presented itself, I took it with both hands and things fell in place for me,” Mboya further explained.His was a story of rising from the ashes especially with his campaign in the National Super League having started on a low. He started 2016 nursing a serious back problem and it ended up keeping him out for six months.“It was very heartbreaking for me but once I recovered and was given an opportunity, I decided it was my time to shine. Again, things worked out well and I managed to keep 11 clean sheets as we earned promotion and I think it is that same form I took into the Premier League,” said the keeper.Apart from his own personal ambitions, he wants to see his club challenge for the KPL title in 2018 having finished third in their debut season.“As a human being, the only route for growth is doing better each time. We came in with very little Premier League experience and we managed to finish third. We have to better that performance next season and I believe we should be considered as title challengers,” further added Oyemba.Sharks begin their campaign away in Bungoma taking on Nzoia Sugar on February 3.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Hamilton cool on F1 expansion to new countries

first_img“On the racing side, I don’t know how important it is to go to new countries as such,” said Hamilton who sealed his fifth world title last month.“If you had the Silverstone Grand Prix and a London Grand Prix, it would be pretty cool.”The Vietnamese capital, Hanoi, will hold a Formula One street race from 2020 after signing a 10-year deal.Formula One has steadily expanded beyond its traditional heartlands, adding races in China, India, South Korea, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Russia, Azerbaijan and Turkey, with mixed results.At the same time, historic European races in England, Germany and Italy have come under threat, while France dropped off the circuit for 10 years before returning this season.“We’ve got a lot of real racing history in England, Germany, Italy and now in the States it is starting to grow,” said Hamilton.“But you only have one event per year in those places. If it was my business, I’d be trying to do more events in those countries.He added: “I’ve been to Vietnam before and it is beautiful. I’ve been to India before to a race which was strange because India was such a poor place yet we had this massive, beautiful grand prix track made in the middle of nowhere. I felt very conflicted when I went to that grand prix.“We had a grand prix in Turkey and hardly anyone came. Cool track, cool weekend but poor audience.”Formula One has thrived in Singapore, but it didn’t last long in India and South Korea. Vietnam also has scant racing tradition.Hamilton said: “If you have the German Grand Prix and you’ve got a Grand Prix in Berlin, I think connecting to cities where a lot of people are is probably a good thing, not necessarily going to countries where they don’t know so much about Formula One.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Lewis Hamilton told the BBC that he would prefer to see more stops in countries with a genuine racing tradition, rather than expanding to new markets © AFP/File / Nelson AlmeidaLONDON, United Kingdom, Nov 14 – World champion Lewis Hamilton has questioned Formula One’s policy of organising races in new countries after this month’s announcement of the Vietnam Grand Prix.Hamilton told the BBC that he would prefer to see more stops in countries with a genuine racing tradition, rather than expanding to new markets.last_img read more

Balotelli latest: Lazio willing to take Liverpool flop on loan

first_img1 Lazio are willing to take Mario Balotelli on loan from Liverpool – but only if they don’t have to pay all his wages.The striker looks set to leave Anfield this summer just one year on after joining the club for £16million from AC Milan.Several sides in Italy have shown an interest in the former Manchester City man, including LazioHowever, according to Tuttosport, the Serie A club will only take Balotelli only loan if they can just pay a portion of his wages.The 24-year-old is reportedly on over £100,000-a-week at Anfield and Lazio cannot afford to meet those demands.They would, however, be able to complete a deal if Liverpool continued to pay part of the Italian’s salary for the duration of the loan. Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli last_img

‘If LVG does this I’m done with life!’ – Transfer rumour STUNS United fans

first_img Manchester United starlet Adnan Januzaj could swap places with Marco Reus 1 It is being reported Manchester United are plotting a swap deal with Marco Reus joining the club and Adnan Januzaj completing a permanent switch to Borussia Dortmund.If Januzaj, who is currently on loan in the Bundesliga with Thomas Tuchel’s team, impresses this season then the deal could be pushed through, but the Red Devils will still face competition from the likes of Real Madrid.Man United fans, though, don’t seem entirely keen on the idea, with many preferring to hang onto their Belgian starlet, despite the talents of Germany attacker Reus.You can see how the Old Trafford faithful have reacted to the rumours below…last_img

British woman tries to complain to supermarket – ends up complaining to Dungloe band!

first_imgA British woman attempted to file a complaint with a Somerset branch of the popular supermarket Lidl – only to post her complaint on the Facebook page of the Lidyl Experience instead!On Facebook, she expressed her distress over the quality of courgettes she bought from Yeovil Lidl, and complained that she had to drive twelve miles to return them.However, she actually posted her complaint to the Facebook account of the Lidyl Experience; a band started up by Liam McGee and Dylan Rodgers. The name ‘Lidyl’ is a play on Liam and Dylan.  My cover band is called Lidyl (pun on Liam & Dylan) & a woman posted on our page, complaining about Lidl in Yeovil. pic.twitter.com/v91i5EiXkj— Liam Mac Hollaoidh🎄 (@Lemon_McGee) October 14, 2016The band replied saying; “I can see how that can be stressful for you Kathy, but unfortunately we don’t represent Lidl in any form. What we can offer you is a song written about the experience and hope this offers you emotional peace with the matter.”Kathy replied saying “a song would be nice, yes.” We can’t wait to hear what Liam and Dylan make with courgettes as their inspiration!To check out the Lidyl Experience you can find them on Facebook. British woman tries to complain to supermarket – ends up complaining to Dungloe band! was last modified: December 3rd, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bandFacebookFunnyliam mc geeLIDLlidyl experiencelast_img read more

SOCCER: ULSTER SENIOR LEAGUE ROUND-UP

first_imgDerry City Reserves have a four point lead at the top of the Ulster Senior League after today’s results.Derry defeated second placed Cockhill Celtic 2-1.In the other games played today Drumkeen United beat neighbours Letterkenny Rovers 1-0 thanks to a late winner from Sean Ferry, Buncrana Hearts got their first victory of the season with a 3-2 victory over pointless Bonagee United and Kildrum Tigers and Swilly Rovers played out a two-all draw. RESULTSWeekending 17th June4 Lanterns Ulster Senior LeagueBonagee Utd 2-3 Buncrana HeartsCockhill Celtic 1-2 Derry City ReservesDrumkeen Utd 1-0 Letterkenny RoversSwilly Roversm 2-2 Kildrum TigersDPD Couriers 1st DivisionDrumkeen United  3-3 Swilly RoversBonagee Utd 2-0  Letterkenny RoversFIXTURESWeek  beginning 18th June Wednesday, 20th June at 7:30pmDonegal News League Cup Group ACockhill Celtic v Derry City ReservesKildrum Tigers v Bonagee UnitedSaturday, 23rd June 2.00pmUSL 1st DivisionDrumkeen United v Bonagee UnitedSwilly Rovers v Kildrum Tigers4 Lanterns Ulster Senior LeagueSunday, 24th June 2.00pmDerry City Reserves v Buncrana HeartsBonagee United v Letterkenny RoversSwilly Rovers v Cockhill CelticDrumkeen United v Fanad UnitedSOCCER: ULSTER SENIOR LEAGUE ROUND-UP was last modified: June 17th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:SOCCER: ULSTER SENIOR LEAGUE ROUND UPlast_img read more

A WEEK OF SUNSHINE AHEAD – AND A WARM DAY FOR THE ALL IRELAND FINAL, SAYS MICKEY THE POST!

first_imgMichael Gallagher pictured with county players Rory Kavanagh and Neil Gallagher at the open day on Saturday where the postman was a stewardDONEGAL can look forward to a week of wonderful weather, Met Eireann forecaster Evelyn Cusack said today.And Donegal postman Michael Gallagher says we’re all in for a mild autumn, with a ‘lovely day’ for the All Ireland Final on Sunday week.“It’s going to a great day on Sunday week, in more ways than one – sunshine and the Senior and Minor double,” said Micky. “We’re in for some lovely weather at the moment, great for the farmers and great for everyone else. Sure it would put a smile on your face.”Forecaster Evelyn says the weather has been turned on its head this week.Afternoon temperatures will hit 21C inland in Donegal this week.It will be chilly at nights however, she says. The current high pressure system – or blocking high – is over Ireland instead of Spain and Portugal which are being hit by Atlantic rain and winds. A WEEK OF SUNSHINE AHEAD – AND A WARM DAY FOR THE ALL IRELAND FINAL, SAYS MICKEY THE POST! was last modified: September 9th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ALL-IRELAND FINALMichael Gallagherpost manlast_img read more

HUGE INJURY BLOW FOR DONEGAL SOCCER STAR

first_imgCork City captain and Ballybofey native Johnny Dunleavy has been ruled out for at least FOUR months after sustaining a nasty knee last weekend. Dunleavy was stretchered off after just eighteen minutes of Cork City’s 2-1 defeat against league leaders Dundalk at Turner’s Cross on Friday night.Dunleavy has been a revelation during his time in Cork, but the news that the central defender is looking at FOUR months on the sideline is a massive blow for manager John Caulfied. Cork City have a star studded side with former Irish internationals Liam Miller and Colin Healy in their side.They’re expected to launch another sustained bid for the Airtricity League title this season but the loss of Dunleavy will be a devastating blow to their ambitions.Dunleavy is expected to undergo minuscule surgery tomorrow afternoon.  HUGE INJURY BLOW FOR DONEGAL SOCCER STAR was last modified: April 30th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cork CityFour monthsJohnny DunleavyKnee injurynewsSportlast_img read more