Dr. Fauci, Two More Members of COVID-19 Task Force in Quarantine

first_imgStephen Hahn, Food and Drug Administration Commissioner, and Robert Redfield, who serves as director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, will also self-quarantine after possibly be exposed to someone who has the virus.Redfield and Hahn will testify by video conference, the committee’s chairman, Sen. Lamar Alexander, said on Saturday.Additionally, the White House sent out an email to all staff on Friday titled, “Strong Precautions We Are Taking,” about the measures being taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19 there in the wake of Miller’s positive test, an official said.The note discusses maintaining maximum telework for staff, reporting travel and monitoring one’s own symptoms, according to a copy obtained by CNN.The memo also states that “high-touch points” in the White House and Eisenhower Executive Office Building, an office building near the White House where many staffers work, will receive “heightened levels of cleaning.”Last Thursday, White House staff reportedly received another memo, telling them that they would be asked about their symptoms and would have their temperatures checked before being allowed to enter the White House complex. Any person who acknowledges having symptoms may be pulled for further screening or may be denied entry.Neither memo addresses face masks. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the infectious disease expert who has been serving on the White House coronavirus task force, told multiple media outlets over the weekend that he will go into a “modified” self-quarantine.The decision to self-quarantine comes after two White House staffers, an unidentified valet to President Trump, and Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary, Katie Miller, both tested positive for coronavirus late last week. Miller is the wife of White House adviser Stephen Miller.Meanwhile, Dr. Fauci says his reasoning for doing a modified self-quarantine is that he had a “low-risk” contact with the White House staff member who tested positive.In that regard, he will mostly work from home, and would wear a mask and take necessary precautions if he is requested to go to the White House or Capitol Hill, Fauci told CNN. He is expected to testify this week in person at a Senate hearing on the coronavirus.Fauci says tested negative for the virus on Friday.America’s doctors, nurses, and healthcare workers are heroes! pic.twitter.com/tbSKbBoqHi— The White House (@WhiteHouse) May 9, 2020last_img read more

Boom! Lightning Strikes Washington Monument

first_imgLightning struck the Washington Monument during a thunderstorm in the city Thursday night and it was caught on a Washington, D.C. news station’s sky camera.The stormy weather came as protesters continued to call for an end to police brutality after the death of George Floyd, a black man killed by a white officer in police custody, continued to demonstrate near the White House.Many commenters compared the lightning symbolically to tensions between protesters and the White House.“It might be George Washington raining down brimstone and fire cos’ he’s angry about the state of the union,” one user wrote.INSANE Video from our @wusa9 SkyCam WOOOOOW #lightning #WashingtonMonument pic.twitter.com/iYmwDwDUMO— Ryan Sprouse (@RSprouseNews) June 5, 2020last_img

Broward Considers Twice-a-Week School, Other Options for Fall

first_imgBroward students may have the option to attend school just two days a week this fall.The Broward School District has developed a plan of school reopening scenarios, which the School Board plans to discuss this Tuesday.Meanwhile, the Palm Beach County School Board planned to unveil its plans or options at a workshop Wednesday afternoon.According to The South Florida Sun Sentinel, the Broward proposals include:-Continued distance learning. Under this scenario, students would remain online-only in the fall.-Staggered times. Half of the students would attend in the morning and the other half in the afternoon four days a week. The fifth day would be used for cleaning and disinfecting the campus.-Staggered days. Half of the students would go to classrooms two days a week, possibly Monday and Tuesday, and the other half on Thursday and Friday, with Wednesday being a cleaning day.2020/21 school year calendar – color, black and white, and accessible versions – available at https://t.co/bcu5yhf0il. The first day of school is August 19. pic.twitter.com/XgveRbD9kU— Broward Schools (@browardschools) June 8, 2020 -High school students at home. High schools would be used to provide extra space so that elementary, middle and adult schools could have room for social distancing. In addition, high schoolers would continue virtual learning.-In-person school limited to high-needs students. Students with disabilities, limited English skills, struggling readers in early elementary grades and those taking career and vocational programs would attend school in person. Additionally, distance learning would continue for others.-Limited enrollment. Schools would serve the same students but limit enrollment on the physical campus. Distance learning would continue for others.“The initial feedback suggests a preference for staggered days, with each school having some implementation flexibility,” a draft report says.Another factor that is expected to limit enrollment is parental choice.A recent school district survey of 72,000 Broward families found that 36 percent want students to continue distance learning full-time. On the other hand, 25 percent prefer a full reopening of in-person learning, while another 33 percent want a hybrid of on-campus and at-home learning. The remaining six percent of respondents are unsure.last_img read more

GSA Crushes Mariners

first_img Latest posts by admin (see all) This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text Latest Posts Bio DEER ISLE — The Eagles ripped two pitchers for 12 hits in five innings in a 14-3 win over the Mariners on Monday.Nick Saunders drove in four runs with three doubles and a single, Rashad Frazier had a two-run homer and an RBI single and Tom Crowe and Sam Eley each had a pair of singles for GSA.Joe Condon had a two-run single for the Mariners, who managed just three hits. For more sports stories, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 adminlast_img

30th IBBF Mr Saraighat Meet On April 6

first_imgOur Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: The 30th IBBF Mr. Saraighat R.G. Baruah Memorial, All India Classic Body Building Championship will be held at ITA Centre in the city on April 6, Saraighat Gym will organize the meet under the aegis of Assam Body Builders & Fitness Association.Several International and National level body builders are expected to participate in the meet which carries cash awards up to top ten winners. Mr Saraighat title winner will collect a purse of Rs 1,50,000. The second and third position winners will receive cash award of Rs 1,00,000 and 80,000 respectively.Mr. Saraighat Assam 2019 competition will also be held simultaneously during the meet. Mr Saraighat, Assam will earn Rs 30,000.Also read: Local Sportslast_img

Usman Khawaja, James Pattinson Set to Play First Ashes Test

first_imgBirmingham: Australia head coach Justin Langer revealed Usman Khawaja and James Pattinson are set to play in the opening Ashes encounter on Thursday.“Usman Khawaja will definitely be in,” Langer told reporters here as quoted by www.cricket.com.au.“He’s fit, ready to go, he’s playing well.“He’s a seasoned pro for us, he averages 40-odd in Test cricket, his hammy (hamstring) is good, he’s running well, he’s passed all the fitness tests so he’s ready to go. He’ll bat No.3.”Commenting on Pattinson, Langer said: “It’s a great story isn’t it, coming back from where he was as a young bowler, the back surgeries, to more than likely being selected for this Test match, it’s a great story.”Khawaja passed a fitness test on his hamstring on Monday and will bat at No.3 in the first Test.Meanwhile, Australia’s star pacer Mitchell Starc is likely to miss out on a berth in the starting XI. Pattinson will likely to partner Pat Cummins with Starc and Josh Hazlewood fighting it out between them and Peter Siddle for the third pacers’ spot.“There’s probably three to be fair, Starcy, Peter Siddle and Josh Hazlewood, for one spot,” coach Langer was quoted as saying by The Australian.With 27 wickets, Starc was the highest wicket-taker at the just-concluded World Cup. He also picked up 22 wickets as Australia whitewashed England 4-0 in the previous Ashes series. (IANS)Also Read: Usman Khawaja, Alex Carey Push Australia to 243/9 Against Kiwislast_img read more

Arrest Warrant Issued Against Indian Cricketer Mohammed Shami

first_imgKolkata: A court here on Monday issued an arrest warrant against India cricketer Mohammed Shami, which gave him 15 days to surrender and apply for bail for alleged domestic violence accusations leveled against him by his estranged wife Hasin Jahan. The judge of the Alipore court issued the warrant around six months after the police filed a charge sheet in the case against the celebrated cricketer under Section 498A (domestic violence) and 354A (sexual harassment). Mohammed Shami is presently in the Caribbean islands as part of the Indian Test team which is playing the second Test of the two-match series against the West Indies. IANSAlso Read: Sports Fraternity Hails World Champion, P.V. SindhuAlso Watch:Fire breaks out in Doomdooma Townlast_img

Triple crown for Manan; Namrata shines in Guwahati Open Junior Tennis Championship

first_imgOur Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Manan Nath of Jorhat bagged triple-crown in the 4th Guwahati Open Junior Tennis Championship which concluded at the RG Baruah Sports Complex here today. He lifted titles in Boy’s Singles (under 14 and 18 years) and Boy’s Doubles (under 14 years).On the other hand Namrata Das of Guwahati clinched doubles crowns winning the Girl’s Singles (under 14 and 18 years).In the Boy’s Singles (under 14 years) final Manan Nath beat Adriraj Krishna Bhuyan of Golaghat 6-2, 6-2 while in the Boy’s Singles (under 18 years) final he won against Arunesh Bora of Guwahati in a grueling three-set by 6-2, 1-6, 11-9.In the Boy’s Doubles (under 14 years) Manan partnering Adriraj beat Abhilesh Barman and Ayan Sarma 6-1, 6-1 in the final.In the Girl’s Singles (under 14 years) Namata Das beat Tania Kumari 6-4,1-6 10-6 in the final while in the Girl’s Singles (under 18 years) final Namrata defeated Justina Borgohain 7-6, 6-2 respectively.Earlier, yesterday Adrika Rajkumari won the Girl’s Singles (under 12 years) defeating Roshni Bharadwaj 6-3, 6-1 in the final while in the Boy’s Singles (under 12 years) Rauank Kashyap beat Aayan Bhuyan in the final 6-3, 6-1.In the closing function, Kumar Sanjay Krishna, Chief Secretary of Assam attended as the Chief Guest. In a brief speech Kumar Sanjay Krishna lauded the efforts of the organisers and assured all necessary helps to promote the games in the state.Also Read: Roshni, Adrika, Ayan, Raunak in final of Open Junior Tennis ChampionshipAlso Watch: CRISIL Foundation’s Gram Shakti certification to drive financial literacy and Inclusionlast_img read more

Olympics on mind, India improving with each match: Gurjant Singh

first_imgBhubaneswar: India forward Gurjant Singh has said that every member in the team has Tokyo Olympics on their mind and will thus use the upcoming FIH Hockey Pro League fixtures against Belgium to further their preparation and boost their confidence.India had a great start to their FIH Pro League campaign as they defeated the Netherlands in both their matches last month.Ahead of the two matches slated to be played on Saturday and Sunday at the Kalinga Stadium against World No. 1 Belgium, Gurjant expressed that the Indian set-up is improving with each match and is working towards a common goal of performing well at the Olympics this year.“This is a very crucial time for us. Every match is very important for us. We are coordinating and playing well as a unit. However, we have to ensure that we keep putting up good performances consistently. Each and every player in the team has the Olympics in their mind and we are working towards doing well at the tournament,” said the 25-year-old.The forward added that the team is confident ahead of taking on Belgium since India performed brilliantly during their tour of the country last year.“We had a great tour of Belgium last year as we won all our matches there. That result certainly gives us a lot of confidence. All the FIH Hockey Pro League matches will help us prepare for the Olympics. All the top teams in the world are playing this tournament. Now the Indian team is performing well. We beat the Netherlands last month, who are ranked third in the world. So the team’s morale is quite high at the moment,” said Gurjant.India registered an incredible come-from-behind win against the Netherlands in their second FIH Hockey Pro League match in January. The Indians were 1-3 behind and then came back to win the match in the shootout. Gurjant expressed that such victories give a major boost to the side. IANSAlso Read: ‘Coronavirus could throw cold water on 2020 Olympics’ Says Toshiro MutoAlso Watch: CM Sonowal and Cabinet Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma reviews preparations ahead PM Modi’s visitlast_img read more

Malinga’s ball-kissing ritual may have to stop, points Sachin Tendulkar

first_imgNew Delhi: Batting great Sachin Tendulkar said that Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga may have to bring a slight change in his bowling action due to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) rules for the resumption of cricket amid the coronavirus pandemic. Malinga is widely rated as one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time in limited-overs cricket. The Sri Lankan pacer also has one of the most distinctive bowling actions in the world, particularly the way in which he releases the ball. He is also known to kiss the ball often at the start of his run-up which is what Tendulkar pointed out. “A certain someone will have to also change his run up routine with the new @icc rules! What say Mali? #LasithMalinga,” Tendulkar tweeted on Tuesday alongwith a pic of Malinga kissing the ball at the start of his run up. Among the slew of rules approved by the ICC is that saliva cannot be used to shine the ball as it is known to carry the virus. Players are also not allowed to use any artificial substance as a substitute but can use their sweat to do the job. IANSAlso watch: Evening Bulletin | 23rd June, 2020last_img read more