PBA to implement new rules on goaltending review, traveling, timeouts

first_imgPhilippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title View comments LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:40Trending Articles01:38PBA to implement new rules on goaltending review, traveling, timeouts03:47INSIDE THE WATER JEEPNEY: Manila to Cavite in 20 minutes?02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award San Miguel still consensus team to beat for PBA Season 44 Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebracenter_img Several significant rule changes that will take effect this upcoming PBA Season 44 which kicks off on Sunday.ADVERTISEMENT “Goaltending will be reviewable from start to finish like how we review if a basket is three-points or not. On traveling, we will adopt FIBA rules because we’re not taking advantage of that extra step. The NBA and FIBA have been doing it and we’re now going to do it too,” he said.The PBA Leo Awards will kick off the new season followed by an opening day showdown between rivals Barangay Ginebra and TNT at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil The league aims to make the games better with the implementation of the new rules.“The new rules have been already approved by the PBA Board and we’ve already talked to the coaches about it,” said PBA commissioner Willie Marcial on Tuesday during the preseason press conference at Conrad Hotel.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissThere are three new rules that will be implemented at the start of the 44th Season on Sunday which are the review of goaltending calls, adoption of FIBA rules on traveling and leeway for coaches to verbally call a timeout without the need to gesture for one. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. last_img read more

Stolen pistol, ammo found in abandoned garbage truck

first_imgA Taurus pistol which was stolen from a popular East Coast Demerara (ECD) businessman by his son was on Friday afternoon retrieved in an abandoned garbage truck at Vryheid’s Lust, ECD. Based on reports reaching Guyana Times, after stealing the pistol with six live rounds of ammunition, the young man reportedly pawned it to someone who subsequently pawned it to someone else. However, Police acting on information swooped down on the abandoned truck and retrieved the firearm.The Police, Guyana Times understands, had received a tip-off from public-spirited citizens, and the Force is now treating this successful operation as testimony that it is regaining the public’s trust.last_img

$97.5M to improve electricity supply to Kwakwani

first_imgGovernment parliamentarians last week approved an additional $97.5 million for the Kwakwani Electrical Company (KEC) with the hope of stabilising electricity supply to residents in that Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) community.This supplementary sum is in addition to the $3.981 billion already allocated to the KEC in the 2019 Budget.Kwakwani Utilities IncSpeaking on the sum being sought, Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson explained to the National Assembly’s Committee of Supply that the money is to further add to contributions to the KEC, which forms part of the Kwakwani Utilities Inc (KUI).The KUI is responsible for the provision of electricity, water, television stations and other public utility services in Kwakwani.Last September, residents of Kwakwani took to the streets to protest the KUI’s poor quality of water and electricity supply in the area. The disgruntled residents have long been complaining about the poor quality of water they receive, as well as the constant fluctuation in power supply, with electricity at times going off for eight hours during the day.The controversial Russian aluminium company Rusal previously provided fuel to the KUI to power its generators. However, according to the Public Infrastructure Minister, since issues with the company and employees heightened last year, the community has been experiencing difficulties in purchasing the needed quantities of fuel, thus resulting in persistent and lengthy power outages which in turn affect water supply.“With the challenges experienced a year ago, Kwakwani’s KUI had to absorb some of these services, like fuel provision and things like that, and there was a shortfall. So this provision here is to ensure that we continue to provide services to that very important community in Region 10; and secondly, that we can give them enhanced services,” Patterson told the Committee last week in his successful bid for the additional money.As recently as in March 2018, the KUI commissioned two new 260-kilowatt engines at the Power Station. The new sets were expected to improve electricity supply and meet the demands of the community.At time of that commission, KUI’s General Manager Fitzhubert McPherson had anticipated that the new sets would allow residents to have 24 hours of electricity, a marked difference from the irregular access they previously faced.KUI currently serves approximately 1,200 metered households. However, this number is expected to grow as the company seeks to expand services to other areas, such as West Bank Kwakwani, Jonestown, New Scheme, and Staff Hill.last_img read more

Buffon wins Italy’s best player award

first_img0Shares0000A true workhorse, Gianluigi Buffon has constantly progressed technically and has lost almost none of his extraordinary physical capabilitiesMILAN, Italy, Nov 28 – Italy’s veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has eased some of his World Cup heartache by winning the Serie A Best Player of the Year award.“I’m happy and proud. I never thought I’d get this kind of trophy, and I’ll hold on tight to it because I never won best youngster!” said the 39-year-old Juventus goalkeeper at Monday night’s ceremony. “The failure to participate in the World is the biggest disappointment in my career together with some (lost) Champions League finals.”Napoli’s Maurizio Sarri was named the best coach in the Italian football awards, voted for by the players, for competing for the title with a smaller budget than Juventus.Buffon quit international football last month as four-time champions Italy sensationally missed out on their first World Cup finals in 60 years after a playoff defeat to Sweden.“Italy-Sweden was the biggest disappointment of my life,” he told Sky Sports Italia.“But we need to move on, the season must end in the best way and with Juventus there are so many goals to be achieved.”Buffon won a tenth Serie A title with Juventus and helped the Turin-based side reach the Champions League final for the second time in three years.He also won a third Italian Cup with the Juve.Despite the World Cup setback, he has left the door open on a future return for the national side.“I’ve taken a period of rest, I’m getting on, I’ve always been a soldier signed up for the national side and Juventus, so I can’t desert,” he said.“Even at the age of 60, if there was a dearth of goalkeepers I’d be available because that’s how I conceive the idea of a nation.”It is the sixth straight year that a Juventus player has won the award with Buffon following in the footsteps of Andrea Pirlo (2012- 014), Carlos Tevez (2015) and Leonardo Bonucci (2016).Buffon has said he will retire at the end of this season, unless Juventus win the Champions League title.The Serie A champions play league leaders Napoli on Friday before a crunch Champions League game next week at Olympiakos when they need a win to guarantee passage into the next round.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Man United to splash £75m on Bayern Munich and West Ham stars?

first_img1 Manchester United are stepping up their efforts to strengthen their squad and have reportedly set their sights on Thomas Muller and Diafro Sakho.With Robin van Persie heading for the exit door, Louis van Gaal wants attacking reinforcements and is said to have made Muller his number one target.The 25-year-old insisted earlier this month that he is happy at Bayern Munich but, according to the Daily Star, United are determined to prise him away from the Bundesliga champions.Their report claims that the Premier League giants will launch a £60m bid for the World Cup winner and chief executive Ed Woodward is confident of completing a deal.Meanwhile, United are also being tipped to make a move for West Ham hitman Sakho.The Senegal international impressed scouts after scoring 12 goals in 26 appearances last season and is rated at around £15million.United’s interest in the duo comes as they close in on the signing of full-back Matteo Darmian. Diafra Sakho last_img read more

Stewart’s 3 lifts USC past ASU

first_imgThe Trojans got the ball in the hands of the red-hot Pruitt, who had made five 3-pointers in the game, but this time he missed. Ryan Francis, the smallest player on the court who is generously listed at 5-foot-11, sneaked in to get the rebound and kicked it out to Stewart standing behind the 3-point line. Without hesitation, Stewart drilled the shot. The Sun Devils missed a half-court shot at the buzzer. “When I tried for the block at the end and got the foul, I thought, `Oh man, I’m going to lose the game like that,’ ” Stewart said. “I kept my head up and then they gave me the opportunity to redeem myself and get the last shot.” matthew.kredell@dailynews.com (818) 713-3607 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Lodrick Stewart’s first shot of the second half tinged the back rim and fell into the net with 2.1 seconds remaining to give USC an improbable 66-65 victory Thursday at Arizona State in its first Pacific-10 Conference road game of the season. It was the only basket of the game for Stewart, who got into an early funk with four first-half misses and decided to avoid shooting after slightly spraining his right ankle. TEMPE, Ariz. – For an entire half, USC’s best shooter played offense like the ball was a hot potato that he wanted to get out of his hands as quickly as possible. It was only fitting that, with seconds left, the ball would come his way again. This time he wouldn’t have another choice. He had to shoot it. center_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson“My ankle was causing a lot of pressure in my leg,” Stewart said. “I didn’t feel like I had the lift. I didn’t want to shoot it and miss, especially in crunch time.” USC, behind most of the game, trailed by six points with exactly two minutes remaining to a team that was picked to finish last in the conference in the preseason media poll. The Trojans (11-3, 2-1) pulled out the game with three difficult 3-point shots. First, Gabe Pruitt launched one from four feet behind the line for his 30th point. USC got the ball back after a good defensive series forced a miss as the shot clock expired. After a timeout, Nick Young drained an early 3-pointer from the top of the key to tie the game, 63-63. It looked like Stewart, who was scoreless despite entering the game averaging 13.5 points, would be the goat after he committed a foul trying to go for the block of a jump shot with 27.4 seconds left. Bryson Krueger stepped to the line and drained both free throws to give the Sun Devils (6-6, 0-3) a two-point lead. last_img

Ison Finishes Runner-up At Zach Johnson Invitational

first_img WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Senior Drew Ison finished runner-up at the third annual Zach Johnson Invitational, pacing the Drake University men’s golf team to a third-place finish on Tuesday. Sophomore Chase Wicklund, who played as an individual, placed tied for 18th with a score of 225 (68-77-80). The Bulldogs recorded a team score of 297 for a total score of 890 (295-298-297) to finish in third-place. Indian Hills CC took home the team title by recording a tournament-best 288 on the final day for a total score of 875 (296-291-288), while South Dakota finished runner-up with a score of 880 (291-295-294).”I thought the guys played well. We battled from start to finish in very tough conditions. We had a respectable finish in a good field,” said Lewis. Final Results “I am really proud of him (Drew Ison). He played spectacular yesterday, shooting even par and being the 36-hole leader in very tough conditions. He had rough start day but battled back,” said Drake head men’s golf coach Matt Lewis. “I know he was a little disappointed not winning but he was there and needs to put himself back in that position. He will be ready to get his first victory.”Ison got out to a rough start as he went bogey, double bogey on the first two holes but started to right the ship with a birdie on the third hole. He went on to the finish the front nine four-over par. After parring the final three holes on the front nine, Ison started the back nine really strong as he went two-under on the first five holes. He bogeyed #15 but finished the round on a high note by parring the final three holes to finish with a 74. Ison’s 216 (71-71-74) tied his season-best.center_img Story Links Sophomore Kyle MacDonald shot a four-over par 75 in the final round, finishing in 23rd-place with a total score of 226 (79-72-75). Sophomore Jack Kennedy and freshman Tim Lim each shot a 74 for a total score of 227 (75-78-74) and 228 (74-80-74), respectively. Junior Arjun Reddy rounded out the team’s effort with a total score of 228 (74-76-76). Drake has a quick turnaround as it travels to South Bend Ind. for the Fighting Irish Classic on Sunday, Oct. 8.  Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more

DANIEL HOPING IRISH EYES WILL BE SMILING ON STRICTLY ………!

first_imgStrictly star Daniel O’Donnell is hoping Irish Eyes Are Smiling when he dances to the famous song on the BBC show this weekend.The star and partner Kristina Rihanoff will light-foot it across the floor to the waltz to get them started on the show.The show, which airs tomorrow night at 9pm, will see Daniel and his partner step it up a gear to impress the judges. Daniel continues to heap praise on his dance teacher Kristina saying she has so much patience with him.The Kincasslagh man revealed earlier this week that he has a habit of sticking out his tongue when concentrating on dance moves.“Kristina keeps telling me to keep my tongue in,” laughed Daniel.DANIEL HOPING IRISH EYES WILL BE SMILING ON STRICTLY ………! was last modified: September 24th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnellStrictly Come Dancinglast_img read more

Local Muslim community heartened by support for Christchurch vigil

first_imgThe Muslim community of Letterkenny fell silent in a special ceremony this morning to mark a week since the Christchurch attacks.Up to 25 people gathered at the interfaith event in Letterkenny Community Centre in a show of solidarity to the victims of the terrorist attacks on two mosques in New Zealand.Those in attendance observed a silent vigil and stood in support of members of the Letterkenny Islamic Association, while others prayed for the fifty people who were killed in the attacks and those who were injured. A spokesperson for the Letterkenny Islamic Association said: “It was very heartwarming to receive this outpouring of emotion and support. It really outlines the good community relations we have in Letterkenny and in Donegal.”The event was organised by the Donegal Intercultural Platform.Members of the Muslim community in Letterkenny were shocked, saddened and frightened by the shootings carried out by a white supremacist in New Zealand last Friday.As they gathered to pray for peace, they gained comfort from an offer of protection from local gardaí. “The gardaí contacted us and offered to be present at prayers last week. That was very much appreciated. It really made people feel good to know they had that support and protection,” a spokesperson said.Meanwhile in New Zealand, a two-minute silence was observed as the nation mourned with the Muslim community affected by the atrocity.Local Muslim community heartened by support for Christchurch vigil was last modified: March 22nd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Letterkenny Islamic Associationlast_img read more

Latest: Chelsea 2 Everton 2 – Blues hit back in style

first_imgTwo goals in as many minutes saw Chelsea level from 2-0 down in a dramatic second half at Stamford Bridge.The Blues appeared to be heading for another home defeat after John Terry’s own goal and a brilliant strike from Kevin Mirallas put Everton in charge.They had gone in front four minutes after the break when Terry contrived to turn Leighton Baines’ cross into his own net.Ross Barkley hit the near post immediately afterwards but that was only a temporary reprieve, as Mirallas curled a beautiful left-footed shot beyond Thibaut Courtois.On the hour mark, Fabregas’ improvised flick which looped up and had to be clawed away by Everton keeper Tim Howard seemed to energise Chelsea.They pulled a goal back when Fabregas’ 50-yard pass saw Costa nip in ahead of Phil Jagielka and Howard before rolling the ball into an empty net.And within seconds Everton’s lead had gone – Costa returned the favour to Fabregas with a neat pass and the Spaniard’s shot took a big deflection before going in.Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanovic, Zouma, Terry, Azpilicueta; Mikel, Matic (Oscar 55); Willian, Fabregas, Pedro (Kenedy 66); Costa. Subs: Begovic, Baba, Cahill, Loftus-Cheek, Remy.Everton: Howard; Baines, Stones, Jagielka, Oviedo; Besic, Barry; Mirallas, Barkley, Lennon; Lukaku.Subs: Robles, Funes Mori, Cleverley, Osman, Deulofeu, Pienaar, Kone.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more