COVID-19: Indonesians in Saudi Arabia told to refrain from traveling to Mecca, Medina

first_imgTopics : The Indonesian Embassy in Riyadh has called on Indonesian citizens residing in Saudi Arabia to temporarily refrain from traveling to the Islamic holy cities of Mecca and Medina as part of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) containment efforts.The embassy issued the statement on Thursday, after the Saudi government announced a day earlier its latest suspension on umrah (minor haj) to Mecca and visits to the Nabawi Mosque in Medina.The statement was also uploaded to the embassy’s official Twitter account, @riyadh_kbri.Himbauan kepada WNI di Arab Saudi untuk sementara TIDAK melakukan perjalanan ke Mekkah dan Madinah, menindaklanjuti edaran yg dikeluarkan Kementerian Dalam Negeri Kerajaan Arab Saudi@Kemlu_RI @Kemenag_RI @KemensetnegRI #NegaraMelindungi pic.twitter.com/x5q1KcGhAd— KBRI Riyadh (@riyadh_kbri) March 5, 2020 “In regard to the issue, the Indonesian Embassy in Riyadh is calling on all Indonesian citizens in Saudi Arabia not to travel to Mecca and Medina,” Indonesian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Agus Maftuh Abegebriel said in the statement.Read also: Umrah pilgrims can reschedule at no extra costs, government promisesSaudi’s new suspension took effect immediately on Thursday as part of the kingdom’s precautionary measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in the two cities.The embassy also called on Indonesian citizens to be careful in sharing information on COVID-19 as Saudi Arabia could punish people found sharing false information with up to five years’ imprisonment and a fine of 3 million riyal (Rp 11 billion).The Saudi government previously announced a temporary umrah suspension for foreigners, including Indonesian nationals, and a tourist visa suspension for residents of countries with confirmed COVID-19 cases.The embassy at Riyadh has opened hotlines +966569173990 and +966569094526 for Indonesian nationals in Saudi Arabia experiencing emergency situations.last_img read more

COVID-19: Indonesia to administer more PCR tests, acknowledges some rapid tests ‘ineffective’

first_imgThe country’s COVID-19 task force will administer more polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, which are believed to be more accurate than rapid tests. “It turns out that not all rapid tests are effective,” the task force’s head, Doni Monardo, said during a virtual meeting with the House of Representatives on Monday.“Thus we will procure more PCR test kits.” President Joko “Jokowi” Jokowi has called on the Health Ministry and the COVID-19 task force to speed up PCR and rapid testing to obtain clear data on confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the country.The government is expecting the delivery of PCR test kits from South Korea. Seoul’s LG Corp plans to provide 50,000 test kits for Indonesia, according to a press release issued by the Office of the Coordinating Economic Minister on Monday.Doni said the government had disbursed 500,000 test kits for rapid testing across the country as of Monday. Jakarta, the national epicenter of the outbreak, has performed the rapid test on 24,015 people across the province as of Monday. Of them, 589 people returned positive results.West Java, the second-hardest hit province, found 677 people with COVID-19 from rapid tests performed on 22,000 people in 27 cities and regencies.Topics : A PCR test detects whether a person has contracted the novel coronavirus by swabbing the nose and throat, while the rapid test detects whether a person has been exposed to the virus through a blood sample. Experts have repeatedly cast doubt over rapid tests, which they claim give less accurate results than PCR tests.“We will still administer rapid tests but there are consequences,” said Doni. “Rapid tests usually need to be administered more than once. Some people that test negative via the rapid test have tested positive using the PCR method or vice versa.”Doni, who also heads the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), said separately that the government had disbursed Rp 14 billion (US$849,643) to the Jakarta-based Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology to increase its capacity to conduct PCR testing.Read also: Carry out proper mass testing with PCR, experts saylast_img read more

Governor Wolf Proposes ‘Computer Science For All’ Standards for PA Schools

first_imgGovernor Wolf Proposes ‘Computer Science For All’ Standards for PA Schools November 15, 2017 Education,  Innovation,  Press Release,  Schools That Teach Harrisburg, PA – Last week, on behalf of Governor Tom Wolf, the Pennsylvania Department of Education highlighted the importance of making computer science education available to all students in the commonwealth during a State Board of Education meeting and Governor Wolf and the department are urging them to endorse ‘Computer Science for All’ standards.“Over the next decade, seven in ten new jobs in Pennsylvania will require workers to use computers and new technologies in a constantly changing economy,” Governor Wolf said. “Businesses are growing in Pennsylvania and we know they need skilled workers. We must begin to prepare students now by establishing standards for computer science education in Pennsylvania schools so that our students have the skills necessary for these emerging high-demand jobs that will support middle class families and attract new businesses to commonwealth. I have asked the Department of Education to work closely with the State Board of Education to adopt Computer Science for All standards for Pennsylvania and I will work with the legislature to codify computer science standards into law.”Pennsylvania is already a leader in STEM education. The PA STEM coalition works with schools and students to expand STEM and Computer Science offerings. In Pennsylvania, over 1,200 educators are trained in Code.org K-12 resources (DCIU and AIU3 partnership) and 18,332 students took a Computer Science class in high school last year.Because of legislation signed by Governor Wolf, Pennsylvania already allows computer science classes to count for graduation, making it one of 24 states with this policy.“This emphasis on computer science would build on our efforts to make Pennsylvania a national leader in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education,” Governor Wolf said. “Pennsylvania now ranks fourth in the nation for the number of STEM graduates and is in the top 10 of states for STEM jobs, but there is more work to do. By giving students access to a quality computer science course we can make sure they have the skills needed for these good paying jobs.”By 2018, there will be approximately 300,000 Pennsylvania jobs that require STEM skills or content knowledge, and over the next ten years, 71 percent of new jobs will require computer science skills.center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

$800,000 for Portsmouth Hospital renovations

first_img Share Tweet Share 204 Views   no discussions HealthLifestyleLocalNewsPolitics $800,000 for Portsmouth Hospital renovations by: – August 2, 2018center_img Share Dr. Kenneth Darroux Minister for Health and Social ServicesAn estimated eight hundred thousand dollars ($800,000.00) has been allocated for the “further transformation” of the Reginald F. Armour Hospital at Portsmouth.This was announced during the Budget Debate on Tuesday 31 July 2018 by the Minister for Health and Social Services, Dr. Kenneth Darroux during the recently concluded sitting of Parliament.“In this year’s budget we see, I think eight hundred thousand dollars, budgeted Madame Speaker, because we feel that the time is now to implement the transformation of the Portsmouth Hospital,” Minister Darroux stated.He noted that the rehabilitation works is necessary considering that the R.F. Armour Hospital serves Portsmouth and the Ross University School of Medicine.“So we recognize that extensive works needs to be done to the hospital in Portsmouth in order to bring it up to date and up to par with what we call the second town,” Minister Darroux said.The Minister also announced that ninety-four thousand, three hundred dollars ($94, 300.00) was recently spent on lab repairs specifically to “modernize and equip the Portsmouth Hospital”. Sharing is caring!last_img read more

STL Boys Teams Win Again Over STM

first_imgThe SLS 5th grade Cardinals basketball team won their third straight game of the season Wednesday, November 5th defeating St. Mary’s of North Vernon for a second time 28-16.Tonight’s victory was the result of a total team effort as Thomas Raver, Abe Streator, Adam Vogelsang, and Luke Wilson shared scoring honors. Hunter Laudick and Spencer “Socks” Mack led the defensive effort and Kyle Salatin and Joe Suttman controlled the rebounds. Lucas Anderson was unable to play due to injury.The St. Louis Cardinals 6th grade boys basketball team played their 1st home game of the season and were victorious with a win over visiting St. Mary’s of North Vernon by the score of 42 – 18.The score was close after the 1st quarter with St. Louis leading 10-8 but in the 2nd quarter Cardinals were able to break away from St. Mary’s as the defense shut out the opposing team and went into halftime leading 18 – 8.Siefert and Abplanalp did an excellent job handling the ball and running the offense as they contributed to a balanced attack with all ten Cardinal players getting into the scoring column. The scoring consisted of:  Aplanalp – 2, Kuntz – 2, Ben Schebler – 2, Wuestefeld – 2, Siefert – 4, Wanstrath – 4, Freeland – 6,Macke – 6, Ratcliff – 6, and Voegele – 8The team is now 3-0 with the next game at home against Mt. Carmel.Courtesy of STL Coaches Dale Amrhein and Jim Oesterling.last_img read more

Local legislators earn top honors from Indiana Chamber of Commerce

first_imgIndianapolis, Ind. — Batesville native, Indiana state representative in the 67th district Randy Frye has received a perfect score on the Legislative Vote Analysis done by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.The perfect score is based on Frye’s voting record during the 2017 Indiana General assembly. The group looked at his votes cast in agreement with the Indiana Chamber’s position on certain bills, including measures on long-term road funding, ISTEP replacement and pre-K expansion for children from low-income families. “We want employers and citizens to take note of this report because it makes it very clear which legislators were supportive of bettering Indiana’s economic climate and which were not,” said Indiana Chamber President and CEO Kevin Brinegar.“Indiana has been named one of the top states in the nation for its business climate, which helps attract employers and jobs to the state,” Frye said. “More Hoosiers are working than ever before, and I will continue to support policies keeping our state economically strong and business friendly.”Frye received a four-year aggregate score of 93 percent.Republican state representative Cindy Zeimke from Batesville has received a perfect score from the Indiana Chamber of Commerce as well. Zeimke was recognized for her pro-job and pro-economy voting record.“Recent rankings show Indiana leading the nation in areas like job growth, economic outlook and regulatory climate,” Ziemke said. “As a lawmaker, I’ll continue to vote for policies that build on this success and help to create an environment where businesses can grow and attract talented workers.”Ziemke received a four-year aggregate score of 97 percent.Ziemke represents Hoosiers in the 55th district.last_img read more

Rosemary Snider, 96

first_imgRosemary Snider, 96, Greensburg, Indiana, passed away on Sunday, June 17, 2018 at the Decatur County Memorial Hospital in Greensburg. Born September 27, 1921 in Decatur County, Indiana, she was the daughter of Earl F. and Elsie P. (Heilman) Gartin. Rosemary was a retired elementary school teacher.  She started a kindergarten in her home when she lived in Yorktown.  She was a member of the Greensburg United Methodist Church, Psi Iota Xi Sorority, and the Indiana State Teachers Association.  She enjoyed playing cards in several local card clubs. She was married to Earl E. Snider on February 14, 1942 and he preceded her in death on November 3, 1976. She is survived by one son, Jerald (Kathy) Snider, New Mexico; one daughter, Sharon (William) Smith, Cockeysville, Md.; four grandchildren and seven great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband; one son, Jay Snider; two sisters, Evelyn Clemons, Alice Marie Goddard. Funeral Services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, June 22 at the Porter-Oliger-Pearson Funeral Home in Greensburg with Rev. Dan Richwine officiating.  Interment will be held in the Concord Cemetery in Morristown, Indiana. Memorials may be made to the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation. Online condolences can be made to the family at www.popfuneralhome.comlast_img read more

Video shows possible kidnapping of 16-year-old girl

first_imgPolice in New York are currently searching for a 16-year-old girl they believe may have been kidnapped while she was out with her mother.The incident was reported, Monday around 11:20 pm.Authorities say Karol Sanchez was walking with her mom on Eagle Avenue when they both were approached by a beige-colored four-door sedan.Two suspects then got out of the vehicle and grabbed the teen and dragged her inside. During the altercation, the teen’s mother was pushed to the ground but she was able to tell authorities that the suspects were four men in their 20’s and that the vehicle took off driving eastbound on East 156th Street.It is unclear at this time whether the victims knew the suspects.The teen is described as being about 5 feet, 5 inches tall and weighs about 150 lbs. She has short black hair and brown eyes and was last seen wearing a dark-blue short jacket, white sweater, blue jeans, and black sneakers.last_img read more

Malinga’s ball-kissing ritual may have to stop, points Sachin Tendulkar

first_imgNew Delhi: Batting great Sachin Tendulkar said that Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga may have to bring a slight change in his bowling action due to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) rules for the resumption of cricket amid the coronavirus pandemic. Malinga is widely rated as one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time in limited-overs cricket. The Sri Lankan pacer also has one of the most distinctive bowling actions in the world, particularly the way in which he releases the ball. He is also known to kiss the ball often at the start of his run-up which is what Tendulkar pointed out. “A certain someone will have to also change his run up routine with the new @icc rules! What say Mali? #LasithMalinga,” Tendulkar tweeted on Tuesday alongwith a pic of Malinga kissing the ball at the start of his run up. Among the slew of rules approved by the ICC is that saliva cannot be used to shine the ball as it is known to carry the virus. Players are also not allowed to use any artificial substance as a substitute but can use their sweat to do the job. IANSAlso watch: Evening Bulletin | 23rd June, 2020last_img read more

Watt, Clay declare for NFL draft

first_imgView Gallery (4 Photos)The Wisconsin Badgers will no doubt use the recent 21-19 Rose Bowl loss to fuel their efforts for another conference title next season. But J.J. Watt and John Clay won’t be around to help the cause.Instead, Watt and Clay elected to forgo their senior seasons and enter the NFL draft.Watt, UW’s dominant defensive end who finished third in the nation with 21 tackles for loss, admitted the decision to leave Wisconsin early was one of the toughest he’s ever had to make, but in the end a chance to play in the NFL was too good an opportunity to pass up“This has, without a doubt, been one of the most difficult decisions of my life, and it is one that was not reached quickly, or easily,” Watt said in an open letter to fans. “At this time, I have made the decision to enter the 2011 NFL Draft. It has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember to play in the National Football League, and through hard work and dedication, that dream finally has a chance to become a reality.“I will be a Wisconsin Badger for life and am forever grateful for all of the love and support that the fans, administration and community have shown to my family and I during my time in Madison,” Watt continued. “I could not have asked for better coaches to play for, better teammates to play alongside or a better fan base to represent throughout my collegiate career.”The Pewaukee native became a fan favorite in Madison after transferring from Central Michigan for a walk-on opening with his hometown Badgers, and the junior defensive end has flourished as a playmaking defensive end during his two seasons as a starter for UW.While the defensive end will be extremely difficult to replace, head coach Bret Bielema supported Watt’s decision in a statement.“I talked with multiple people connected with NFL teams on J.J.’s behalf to make sure he had the best information to make an informed decision and one that he was comfortable with,” Bielema said. “He is a terrific example of what we want our student-athletes to be, both on and off the field, and he will be missed. I wish him nothing but the best, and I know he will be successful in his future endeavors.”Bielema also has to part ways with Clay, Wisconsin’s star running back who leaves UW with the third-highest career touchdown total (41) and seventh all-time in rushing with 3,413 yards.“There are a lot of people that I would like to thank who have helped me along the way,” Clay said in a statement. “I’d like to thank the great Wisconsin fans for supporting me throughout my time as a Badger. I’d also like to thank my family for helping me through this process.“I want to thank my coaches for giving me the opportunity to come to Wisconsin and putting me in a position to showcase my talents. Also, thanks to my teammates for everything they have done to help me. Finally, I have to give glory to God for blessing me with this opportunity. This is the right decision for me at this time, and I’m excited to start a new chapter.”Clay has been a workhorse for Wisconsin throughout his career, and Bielema expressed how proud he is to see another UW running back have so much success in the Badger program.“Since coming to Wisconsin, John has gone above and beyond all of our expectations both on and off the field,” Bielema said. “His tremendous production on the field speaks for itself, but we are also proud of him as a teammate and the work he has done in the classroom and off the field. We support his decision and wish him luck.”Watt’s and Clay’s departures make room for younger players to step into bigger roles, and their two respective position groups both enjoy solid depth. UW will return the other three starters along the defensive line, and sophomore defensive end David Gilbert appears poised to slot into the starting lineup. The Badgers rotated 11 players along the D-line at times during the regular season so there are plenty of options, but it will be a challenge to replace Watt’s instinct and productivity.Despite Clay’s decision to jump to the pros, the running back situation is in great shape. Montee Ball and James White proved they could handle the load when Clay was injured down the stretch and Zach Brown is set to return to action as a redshirt senior. Wisconsin never seems to have any problem finding capable running backs, and UW will rely heavily on its ground game once again in 2011.last_img read more