160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventSafe Surrender, which was created by Knabe in June 2002, allows a parent or a person designated by a parent to surrender an infant within 72 hours of birth to any hospital or fire station. Despite the program, two newborns have been found dead so far this year. One of the infants was a girl found Jan. 30 in a shoe box in a closet in Hollywood. The other baby was found March12 near a stretch of train tracks in Alhambra. That infant apparently had been tossed over a fence. In 2001, one year before the county program was introduced, 11 newborns were found abandoned and deceased. Since 2002, 41 newborns have been safely surrendered, seven infants have been found abandoned and survived, and 28 have been abandoned and died. DOWNEY – A newborn dropped off at a Downey hospital is the fifth baby to be turned over to authorities in Los Angeles County this year under the Safe Surrender program, officials said Tuesday.The infant boy was dropped off Monday afternoon at Downey Regional Medical Center, said David Sommers of county Supervisor Don Knabe’s Office. The baby has already been placed in a foster home by the Department of Children and Family Services, Sommers said. “The baby was healthy,” he said.