Police arrest man accused of sexually assaulting a Talmadge woman

first_img KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Police have arrested a 42-year-old man accused of sexually assaulting a Talmadge woman inside of her home last week.Police on Friday arrested Leonard Derrick on suspicion of burglary and sexual assault. Details on where Derrick was taken into custody has not yet been disclosed.The woman says she was sexually assaulted in her house on the 4400 block of 50th Street at 5:30 a.m. on March 22. She showed up at a neighbor’s home to report that she had just been attacked by a stranger who had sneaked into her residence.Officers saw Derrick running from the scene and he is due in court on April 3. Posted: March 30, 2019 Police arrest man accused of sexually assaulting a Talmadge woman KUSI Newsroom March 30, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Joypurhat couple found hanging

first_imgjoypurhatA couple was found hanging at Rukindipur Farkirpara village in Akkelpur upazila in Joypurhat on Thursday morning, reports UNB.The deceased are Saiful Islam, 24, son of Lokman Hossain, and his wife Sonia Akhter, 21.Quoting locals, Akkelpur police station sub-inspector Golam Mostafa said Saiful married Sonia Akhter, a resident of Sahapur village, one and a half years ago.Saiful ‘committed suicide’ by hanging himself at his room on Wednesday night following a family feud. After Saiful’s death, Sonia went missing.After a frantic search, locals found Sonia’s body hanging from a mango tree on Thursday morning.On information, police recovered the bodies and sent those to Joypurhat modern hospital for autopsy.Separate unnatural death cases were filed.last_img

Trump considering brand new immigration order

first_imgUS President Donald Trump meets with senators to discuss his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court in the Roosevelt Room at the White House in Washington, DC. Photo: AFPUS President Donald Trump said Friday he is considering drafting a new order to ban migrants from majority-Muslim nations after his initial decree fell afoul of the law.Insisting that he has the law on his side despite two defeats in federal court in quick succession, Trump said security concerns may necessitate a quicker response than legal channels would allow.“The unfortunate part is that it takes time statutorily, but we will win that battle. We also have a lot of other options, including just filing a brand new order,” he said, adding that any action would not come before next week.The statement represents an embarrassing climbdown for Trump, who has insisted that the order was well drafted and who has nevertheless vowed to fight on in the courts.“We need speed for reasons of security, so it very well could be,” Trump said when asked if his plan was to have a new measure drafted.Trump said Friday at a joint press conference with visiting Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that as president, he has learned of “tremendous threats to our country.”“We’ll be going forward and continuing to do things to make our country safe. It will happen rapidly,” he told reporters.“We will not allow people into our country who are looking to do harm,” he said. “We will allow lots of people into our country that will love our people and do good for our country.”‘Whatever is necessary’Trump’s executive order issued in late January summarily denied entry to all refugees for 120 days, and travelers from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for 90 days. Refugees from Syria were blocked indefinitely.The White House has not provided any evidence to support Trump’s view that a ban on travelers from the seven countries was urgently needed.An appellate court decided unanimously on Thursday to maintain a block on Trump’s order put in place by a lower court judge a week before.The debacle has raised questions about the competence of Trump’s White House in working through the practical and legal implications of the order.The property mogul-turned-president was forced to sack the acting attorney general—an Obama administration holdover—after she refused to defend the order.After first suggesting a quick appeal to the Supreme Court was off the table, US officials reversed course, insisting a legal challenge had not been dropped, including a possible motion to the high court.“We’re keeping all our options open,” one official said.Nevertheless, an appeal on the temporary freeze in the lower courts now seems unlikely.Earlier Friday, Trump vowed to do “whatever is necessary to keep our country safe.”“We’ll be doing something very rapidly having to do with additional security for our country. You’ll be seeing that sometime next week,” the president said.“In addition we will continue to go through the court process, and have no doubt we’ll win that particular case,” he said.‘Disgraceful’The measure—given with no notice—set off detentions of incoming travelers, protests at airports and international condemnation until a federal judge in Seattle stepped in and suspended the order a week later.In upholding the suspension, the US court of appeals in San Francisco said Thursday the government had provided no evidence that any alien from the countries named in the order had carried out a terrorist attack on US soil.“We hold that the government has not shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its appeal, nor has it shown that failure to enter a stay would cause irreparable injury,” the three-judge appellate panel ruled.Trump’s initial reaction came minutes later on Twitter: “SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!”He followed up early Friday with a tweet calling the court’s ruling “a disgraceful decision!”last_img read more

The Cayman Islands taps new PR firm for Canadian tourism strategy

first_imgThe Cayman Islands taps new PR firm for Canadian tourism strategy Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Travelweek Group Posted by << Previous PostNext Post >>center_img GRAND CAYMAN — The Cayman Islands Department of Tourism has signed a new agency of record for public relations to represent the Cayman Islands in the Canadian market. Aerial Communications Group, in business for 22 years and based in Toronto, joins the Canadian tourism team to provide media relations, strategic partnership development and communications starting this month.Focusing on growth in visitation and awareness from the Canadian leisure and business travel markets, the agency will assist the Department of Tourism with full implementation of these strategic goals for tourism. “The Cayman Islands continues to welcome increased stayover visitors each year, accomplishing record breaking numbers annually, but we must focus on reaching more Canadians seeking the ultimate Caribbean vacation,” said Director of Tourism, Rosa Harris. “There has been a historic affinity between the Cayman Islands and Canada which continues to make this a very important market for the destination. We look forward to bringing the Aerial team of market experts to assist in taking the Canadian strategy to the next level.”More news:  Canada raises travel warning amid escalating protests in Hong KongNaomi Strasser, President, Aerial Communications Group, says the Cayman Islands has “a wonderful story to tell” as one of the world’s top destinations for recreation, relaxation and romance. “We look forward to telling Canadians what we know to be true – Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac have unique sensibilities that everyone should explore, and offer the best culinary, cultural and natural offerings in the Caribbean.”This change in agency comes following an open competitive tender process as defined by the Cayman Islands Public Management and Finance Law, Departmental tendering policies and the Ministry of District Administration, Tourism & Transport (DATT) procurement policy.The destination was previously represented by Fathom Communications. “While the Department of Tourism has had a long-term partnership with the previous public relations agency of record, the department is committed to due process being followed to achieve positive return on investment and value for its marketing services,” said the Honourable Deputy Premier and Minister of Tourism, Moses Kirkconnell. “My ministry looks forward to greater visitation and brand awareness from the Canadian market influenced by the expertise and engaging strategy Aerial Communications Group will deliver. I commend the Department of Tourism for prioritizing this process placing a focus on this key North American market which has shown significant economic recovery over the last two years. Canadian visitors are very important to our business and we commit to ensuring our formula for air seat availability, direct routes, quality accommodations and exciting on-island attractions deliver on a top-notch holiday.” Tags: Cayman Islands Sharelast_img read more